Thursday, April 17, 2014

There Goes Easter


IMG_0046-001
As you can see from the number of eggs in the Boy's basket, there are advantages to being an only child.
Okay, Easter morning was a bit of a thrill ride around here, kids (*Spoiler Alert* If you still believe in the Easter Bunny, read no further. If you are the Easter Bunny, this is for you). Here's the thing: the Boy is unusual in the fact that he is six-years-old and sleeps until his normal wakeup time on major holidays. Christmas morning? We have to wake him up. Easter last year? We had to wake him up. With that in mind, the plan has always been for me to get up and hide the eggs before anyone else is awake. This plan makes even more sense when you know that one of our dogs will eat anything she has access to (some of you might remember what she did  to a birthday cake) so the eggs can't be hidden the night before. The plan was well laid, my friends, but went horribly wrong. At approximately 5:33 a.m., the Boy was excitedly up to go to the bathroom (and check to see if the Easter Bunny had arrived yet). The problem with that is the part where the Easter Bunny was still asleep and hadn't hidden a single egg. Ever quick on her feet, the Missus climbed into bed with the Boy in an attempt to get him to go back to "sleep" (and to stall to give me some time).
IMG_0005-001
With visions of Easter being ruined for my son, I was at DEFCON 5. I had to hide those eggs and hide them quick. I also had to be silent as the grave as I knew the Boy was only pretending to be asleep and would hear anything over a church whisper coming from the rest of the house. Have you ever noticed how loud plastic eggs filled with jelly beans are? Me either, but I'm here to tell you they're loud, especially when you're tiptoeing around a darkened house trying to hide them. The eggs weren't the only things trying to give me away. Doorknobs that usually turn silently, popped and yelped in ways I didn't know were possible. Doors that typically open silently, creaked and complained when I opened them. Cushions on the couch made a "whooshing" sound that I am positive the neighbors could hear. As they often do, the Shih Tzus added their own drama to the mix. Their claws going across the floor made more noise than I have ever heard as they stubbornly refused to stop following me on my silent quest to hide the eggs. The skinny one (you might remember her from our smoke detector incident) kept running into and out of our "sleeping" child's room, the tags around her neck making more noise than the bells in Saint Peter's Square heralding the resurrection of Christ. It wasn't music to my ears.

As I breathlessly hid the last egg and placed the Boy's Easter basket in its place, I held my breath hoping the Boy hadn't heard the racket I had been making. In the end , I think we pulled it off. All the eggs got hidden, the Boy's belief in the Easter Bunny was preserved, and all was well in the Knight House.
IMG_0023-001


6 comments:

  1. Aww, very cute and so glad that all was well that ended well. We have Easter on Sunday and my older daughter already found the Tinker Bell movie I hid to surprise my girls with. Yup, going to have to find a better hiding place now, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, pal! Yes, we have had things be found before their time too! We now have big plastic bins in our garage and we throw everything in there! I have also heard of people storing things in their empty luggage!

      Delete
  2. Totally diggin' the Spidey basket. And, I was laughing out loud! The things that are usually so quiet do sound super loud when we're trying to be sneaky!! High five to the Easter Bunny on pulling off the great caper. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose! Hope you guys had a great one!

      Delete
  3. Mission accomplished! Maybe next Easter the bunny will leave pet tag silencers for you as well :) Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jes! Hope you guys had a great weekend!

      Delete