Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Puppy Isn't Broken

The puppy in question

The puppy isn't broken. That's the good news. The bad news is there's little doubt that the new puppy, you know, the Christmas Miracle in October, isn't really into being housebroken. I offer as proof of this fact, exhibit A:


Exhibit A


Before coming across this evidence, I was freaking out because I thought the puppy wasn't pooping. I worried he was all stopped up. I mean, food was going in, so it's not a good thing if it doesn't come out, right? I had the little guy in hand, on the way out the door to the vet, when I noticed there was a bad smell in the house. I went investigating and found puppy poop under the dining table. Puppy poop behind some toys in my son's bedroom. What was next to the computer armoire? Puppy poop. It was a puppy poop storm. Gross, yes, but also a relief that there isn't anything wrong with him. Except for the not being housebroken part.

If I had to estimate how housebroken he is, I'd say about 5% and that's being generous. He will do his business on his pee pads and starts wagging his tail the second he's done, knowing full well that a training treat has his name on it. However, the bulk of the time, as you can see for yourself, he just goes wherever and whenever he chooses.

Like I said, the good news is the puppy isn't broken. He is capable of taking in perfectly good, pricey food from the vet and converting it into crap.

12 comments:

  1. Justin, just another reason why I know I am not ready to get a puppy for my girls, because I finally have them potty trained and not ready to go through training a dog yet! But glad he isn't broken and gosh though I must say again he is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, Janine! Your girls would love a puppy! And this is just a season. He will be housebroken. Eventually!

      Delete
  2. Happy to hear that the puppy isn't broken and obviously he's so adorable you love him anyway! Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do love him anyway AND he is doing better (after being enrolled in puppy kindergarten)!

      Delete
  3. LOL! I love the story! I have Chihuahuas. The best way to potty train them (in my opinion and experience) is to always remember, when they eat, they poop and when the drink, they pee. Right after eating or drinking I would take them outside until they have done their business (usually no longer than 30 min.). It shouldnt take more than 2 wks to train him. LOL though I do know it does take some longer. I believe if I were to leave my dogs inside for a wk without taking them out (which I would never do) they would pop before they would poop or pee in the house. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, that stinks (literally and figuratively). :(

    A good friend of mine (my former boss actually) had the same challenge and put her puppy through training school. I don't know if I can advocate it or not (I don't know anything about it), but it worked, and the graduation picture at the end (complete with certificate and doggy cap) was cute. ;)

    Good luck w/the continued training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you mentioned that because we just started puppy kindergarten and it does seem to be helping!

      Delete
  5. Oh no! That's a lot of poo to clean up! Hope Zero likes the puppy classes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jes! He loves his classes and is actually doing better with the housebreaking thing!

      Delete
  6. I have a lab, so maybe that's why it was easier for me. But I just did it the way I trained my daughter. If the dog was pacing around, especially by the wall or corner, he went outside. If he ate or had water, he went outside. If he relieved himself in the house, he went outside. We had pee pads by the door, and he tried to go on them if I wasn't paying attention. For us, it took about a week to get him trained.
    Maybe that's helpful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard Labs are easier! Ours little guy is finally doing a bit better. But, now he is chewing up our furniture!

      Delete