Thursday, January 30, 2014

Taking A Jackhammer To Education


So, I dragged myself to my classroom the other morning, dreading the day. No, I wasn't dreading the teaching part, or seeing my students. No, I just wasn't in the mood to administer a district assessment to my little cherubs. But, being the trooper that I am, I got my students in the door, settled them down, passed out the test, read the directions to them, and got them working. 

So, you can imagine my delight, when I heard a loud noise, looked outside my classroom door, and saw the scene above. Apparently, there is a drain outside my classroom that needed fixing. And jack hammering. At 9 a.m. On a Tuesday morning. During district assessments. 

I immediately called the office, complained, and asked if administration was aware that this was happening. "Yes", was the response. That was the only time the district work crew was available. 

You'd think that what a teacher is doing would be the most important thing at a school, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong. Never has this been clearer to me than at that exact moment. No, the work crew's availability was more important than any teaching or, more importantly, testing I was doing. Not to mention a drain was more important. A drain designed to remove rain water. Did I mention that I teach in southern California? It rains here about once a year. In fact, we're in the middle of a drought. 

So, not only rain water is in short supply. So are common sense and priorities. Wouldn't it make sense that work crews at schools start work after the students have left for the day? Oh, there I go trying to make sense. I remember during my first year teaching, a veteran teacher told me, "Justin, there are a lot of things that don't make sense when you work at a school. If you insist on everything making sense, you'll go crazy." How right she was. Take the previously mentioned drain. It still doesn't work.

10 comments:

  1. I work in municipal government. I feel your pain about "sense."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kevin!
      Sometimes all you can do is take an Advil!

      Delete
  2. I am a retired school teacher. Unfortunately, I have seen this type of thing happen way too often. My favorite saying at times like this - the inmates are running the asylum.
    Thank you for making a difference in the lives of our young people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You summed it quite perfectly Justin and common sense never prevails with the higher ups in education. Just don't get me started, but know I agree whole heartedly on this topic and matter with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janine! I know you get it from your former life in education!

      Delete
  4. Wow! That is about all I can say, wow. Sorry to hear this. I know where I am our "merit pay" is based on our test scores. I would be throwing a fit! Of course your right. Education is just not a priority to some!
    Hilary

    Second Grade is Out of This World!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really rich, especially since they didn't even get the drain running. I've seen things like that though, more times than I can count. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everything will make sense, not everything will make sense, not everything will make sense...
      Maybe if I say it enough times I'll come to terms with it, Rosey! :)

      Delete